Kimberly and Jim

Kimberly and Jim

Friday, January 16, 2009


How it All Began...

I was divorced with 3 small children under the age of 5. I had always been a stay at home mom and since the separation and divorce I was thrust into the real world, or at least the world of the working. I thought for months what I wanted to do with my life go to college, etc,etc. I finally decided to go into law enforcement and become a corrections officer with the thought of crossing over at a later date to become a deputy. I tested and passed and was accepted into the academy in Panama City, which meant a daily drive time of over an hour each way. I started school and soon realized I couldn't make it on child support alone while going through school. I applied to the Bay County Jail and was soon hired on as a trainee correctional officer. When I started I loved it, it was high paced, adrenalin pumping, make you feel important work. Soon after I started working they were making me work 16 hour days several times a week and go to school. Around the same time I was introduced to a fellow employee named Jim. He so wasn't my type. He was kinda nerdy but very sweet. He kept coming around and talking to me but I didn't pay him much attention. He gave me his phone number, which I promptly threw in the trash can as soon as he walked away. He then started calling me from his office to my post I was stationed at daily. I still wasn't interested. He then began bringing me dinner or ordering in for us. I started thinking no guy had ever treated me this way. He again gave me his phone number which this time I kept. Somehow we finally decided to go out, and guess what? He told me to bring my children along too! We went to Chuck E. Cheese and he acted as though he had known them forever. He soon gave me a promise ring ( I know, so dorky but I loved it) and then a month later an engagement ring. I couldn't believe this guy who had all his ducks in a row, and had never been married or had any children was willing to marry me and take on the responsibility of my three. Around the same time we decided since I was working so much and not really liking it anymore, that I'd quit and once again be a stay at home mom. We were planning a huge wedding and then decided to be more realistic and just elope. We bought a wedding license and my best friend Beth (a notary) married us at her mother's house in the spare room right next to the ab lounger. Romantic, I know! Our only attendants were my bridesmaid and other best friend Heather (the notary's twin sister) and Heather's husband Tommy (Jim's groomsman.) It was way silly and a lot of laughing going during the ceremony (thanks Beth and Heather and there mama's damn ab lounger.) Heather did look through some old wedding items at her moms house and found a huge fancy bouquet of silk flowers. She came into the room (with all of us in regular clothes) and said "I hope you like purple" as that was the color of the bouquet that had come from her sisters wedding a few years before. After the small ceremony they (Beth and Heather) made us a piece of pound cake with strawberries and whip cream on top for our "wedding cake" and 2 cups of water in red plastic solo cups. So much for a huge fancy wedding. It was small and sweet and I was glad my 2 best friend's were there (they could have put the ab lounger in another room though!!!) Did I mention it was on Christmas? Yes, we got married December 25, 2005. He tells people he planned it that way as to only have to buy me one present a year ( Christmas and Anniversary together) but I tell him, it better cost twice as much!

2 comments:

  1. Thats a great story... I knew about how you guys had met, but I didn't know that you eloped! Thats crazy! You know, Carey and I eloped, too. Only we didn't have anybody we knew there. Just us, and some lady at the clerk of the court who married us. I was wearing jeans, and he wore shorts and a t-shirt. Ahhhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Jim sounds like a really wonderful guy.

    ReplyDelete